2 March 2020
Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre is now accepting unwanted and unused paint at Kimbriki free of charge under the Paintback® Scheme.
Kimbriki is an approved Paintback® collection site providing Australian households and Trade Painters a convenient, responsible and free disposal point for unwanted paint.
- Responsibly deal with waste paint after painting.
- Declutter your garage, shed or under the house of old paint containers.
- Recycle and reduce waste going to landfill.
The Paintback® drop-off point at Kimbriki is open to everyone as long as they comply with the following conditions:
- Maximum limit of 100L of paint in containers no larger than 20L each
i.e. 5 x 20L drums OR 10 x 10L cans OR 20 x 5L tins, per customer per drop off
- The lid must be securely fixed on the paint tin and drum
- Note: it does not matter how much paint is in each tin, the limit applies to the container size regardless of how full they are
These conditions have been set by Paintback® to ensure that the collection site is not overwhelmed by large volumes of waste paint. The container size limit ensures safe manual handling of the paint from a customer’s vehicle at the collection point.
|Deck coating and floor paints
|Interior and exterior architectural paint – water and solvent based
|Packaging (ie tins and drums)
|Automotive and industrial surface coating (shop application) paints and finishes
|Caulking compounds, epoxies, glues or adhesives
|Colorants and tints
|Industrial maintenance coatings
|Urethanes (single components)
|Melamine, metal and rust preventative
|Paint thinners, mineral spirits or solvents
|Roof patch or repair
|Tar-based or bitumen-based products
Who is Paintback®?
Paintback® is taking unwanted paint and packaging’s colourful past to a brighter future of responsible disposal and innovative reuse. Paintback®, established in 2016, is a world-first, industry-led initiative designed to divert unwanted paint and packaging (tins, drums, containers) from ending up in landfill and vital waterways.
Paintback® is driven by the Australian paint industry and the major companies that supply around 95% of all the architectural and decorative paint sold in Australia. The founding members of Paintback® are Dulux, Haymes, PPG, Resene and Valspar.
Paintback® is an independent not-for-profit organisation which is funded through a 15 cents plus GST per litre levy on eligible products*, between 1 litre and 20 litres inclusive.
For more information on Paintback, please visit their website.
What happens to the paint and tins?
After collection from Kimbriki, Paintback® transport the paint and tins to various treatment facilities:
- the solvent-based paint is used as fuel, replacing coal in high-temperature kilns that produce cement
- the water is taken out of water-based paints and recycled, halving the volume of material going to landfill
- steel cans are recycled into new steel products