In line with NSW Government Covid-19 restrictions, we may be required to cancel an excursion or workshop, or reduce the maximum group size of an excursion at any time. Kimbriki will comply with restrictions in place at the time of the event, not the time the booking was placed.
Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre offers an exciting and educational learning opportunity for school students.
School visits are offered to (Primary and Senior School levels (Kindergarten to Year 12) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from approximately 10am. Kimbriki requires a minimum 15 students to host an excursion. Excursions are free of charge to schools within the Northern Beaches Council and Mosman Council areas. For schools outside these council areas, a $15 fee per student applies (with a minimum charge of $300 incl gst).
Due to current NSW Government and NSW Health Covid-19 two square metres restrictions, Kimbriki’s Eco House and Garden will accommodate up to 70 students at any one time.
During a tour of Kimbriki’s waste and recycling facilities, students will see huge volumes of waste, recyclables and recycled materials as well as large trucks, loaders, and other machinery – all from the safety of your bus. In addition, students will participate in an educational ecology workshop designed to support primary, secondary school and tertiary curriculum outcomes.
Schools are responsible for arranging bus transport to and from Kimbriki and for the duration of the site tour/s.
Learning in the Eco House and Garden is experiential and workshops are conducted by Kimbriki’s passionate Senior Eco Gardener and teacher – Peter Rutherford and his team.
Workshops vary to be relevant to different levels of the curriculum.
The workshop for schools covers the following topics:
- Where my breakfast came from
- Amazing soils
- The importance of recycling food waste at home and at school
- All about compost
- The role of worms
- You are what you eat
- and more!
Please allow 2.5 hours (including morning tea break) at Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre.
To book a school excursion or make an enquiry, in the first instance, please fill out this form and a Kimbriki staff member will contact you within 5 business days.
A visit to Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre is a great way to inspire students, staff and parents to develop initiatives to fulfill the Schools Environmental Management Plan (SEMP). Parents and support staff are welcome to join the students on the school visit or may like to book for one of Kimbriki’s workshops for adults.
Before you visit, you will need to submit a list of student names and a signed Risk Assessment document (Kimbriki Risk Assessment for Schools).
After your visit, we will email you a link to a short survey and we would appreciate any feedback you would like to give us.
Process for booking a school excursion
- Fill in Enquiry form and select 3 preferred dates
- Booking confirmed by Kimbriki (for schools out of area, schools must provide Purchase Order number or billing details)
- Kimbriki Risk Assessment for Schools signed and returned to Kimbriki
- School organises bus for excursion and sends Kimbriki School Excursion Bus Driver Instructions to bus company.
- List of student names sent to Kimbriki 3 days prior to excursion. Names of excursion participants are required for WHS reasons. Kimbriki will provide a template compatible with our Visitor Management System.
- Feedback survey completed after excursion