About School Excursions
We are heavily booked in Term 4 with only a few dates available.
Dates for 2024 will be available soon.
Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre offers an exciting and educational learning opportunity for school students. Excursions address the NSW DET sustainability cross-curriculum priorities and KLA outcomes.
School visits are offered to Primary and Senior School levels (Kindergarten to Year 12) and are hosted in Kimbriki’s Eco House and Garden. We require a minimum of 15 students to host an excursion and can accommodate up to 70 students at any one time.
Excursions are free of charge to schools within the Northern Beaches Council and Mosman Council areas. For schools outside these council areas, a $20 fee per student applies (with a minimum charge of $400 incl gst).
A school visit will entail a tour of the whole Kimbriki site and a workshop in the Eco House and Garden.
During a tour of Kimbriki’s waste and recycling facilities, students will see huge volumes of waste, recyclables, and recycled materials as well as large trucks, loaders, and other machinery – all from the safety of your bus. In addition, students will participate in an educational ecology workshop.
Learning in the Eco House and Garden is experiential, motivational and inspires confidence for staff and students to make positive changes back in their schools. Workshops vary to be relevant to different levels of the curriculum and are supported with materials on our Education Hub.
Workshop topics can include:
- Where my breakfast came from
- Amazing soils
- The importance of recycling food waste at home and at school, and sorting at the source
- The 4 R’s
- All about compost
- The role of worms
- You are what you eat
Please allow 2.5 hours (including morning tea break) at Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre.
Schools are responsible for arranging bus transport to and from Kimbriki and for the duration of the site tour/s.
A visit to Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre is a great way to inspire students, staff and parents to develop initiatives to fulfill the Schools Environmental Management Plan (SEMP). Parents and support staff are welcome to join the students on the school visit or may like to book for one of Kimbriki’s workshops for adults.
Process for booking a school excursion
- Fill in Enquiry form and select 3 preferred dates.
- Booking confirmed by Kimbriki (for schools out of area, schools must provide Purchase Order number or billing details).
- Kimbriki Risk Assessment for Schools signed by school and returned to Kimbriki on confirmation.
- School organises bus for excursion and sends the bus company the Kimbriki School Excursion Bus Driver Instructions.
- Attendee list sent to Kimbriki no later than 3 days prior to excursion. Kimbriki will provide an Excel template compatible with our Visitor Management System. Names of excursion participants are required for WHS reasons.